What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic medicine is a distinct system of primary care that addresses the structural, functional, psychological, spiritual, and environmental aspects of health to assess, diagnose and treat the root causes of illness and to promote wellness.
Naturopathic doctors (NDs) are highly educated primary care providers who integrate standard medical diagnostics with a broad range of natural therapies. NDs have a minimum of 4 years of post-secondary education before completing 4 years of medical training that includes a 12-month clinical internship. To be licensed, NDs must pass standardized board examinations.
Naturopathic Doctors abide by the following principles:
- First Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere): Your Naturopathic Doctor chooses therapies that are safe and effective, to support health and avoid harmful side effects.
- The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae): Your Naturopathic Doctor works to restore and support the powerful and inherent healing abilities of your body, mind, and spirit.
- Identify and Treat the Cause (Tolle Causam): The primary goal of your Naturopathic Doctor is to determine and treat the underlying cause of disease.
- Treat the Whole Person: In treating the cause, your Naturopathic Doctor takes into account not only your physical symptoms, but also mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social, spiritual and other factors.
- Doctor as Teacher (Docere): Your Naturopathic Doctor will assist you in understanding health and illness and in becoming more capable of maintaining your own health.
- Disease Prevention and Health Promotion: Your Naturopathic Doctor applies all of the above principles in a proactive form of disease prevention and health promotion.
Naturopathic Doctors use a range of modalities, allowing them to develop a truly holistic, individualized treatment plan for every patient. These modalities include (but are not limited to):
- Lifestyle Counselling and Prevention
- Asian Medicine and Acupuncture
- Botanical Medicine
- Physical Medicine
Naturopathic medicine is regulated in Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and has title protection in Nova Scotia. All other provinces and territories are currently pursuing regulation. Click to find an ND anywhere in Canada or in Ontario.
Naturopathic Medicine is a Regulated Health Profession in Ontario and is covered under most Extended Health Benefit Plans.